Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring Break

School has started up for Jacob again. Spring Break was hard for me, and for Jacob. He needs stimulation every day, both physical and mental. I just can't give him the amount of stimulation he needs. So he ends up getting very anxious, and starts stimming (flapping his hands up and down, hitting his face or ears, jumping up and down over and over and over again, humming loudly.) It is hard on him, but as much so on me bc I have to deal with it. And, I also have to deal with a 1 yr. old who is now walking EVERYWHERE! I do what I can with Jake, sing songs with him and dance (as much as I can, my dancing must involve me sitting down) having him play with different toys that have different textures or purposes, read a book with him although he prefers to just look at the pages. I make him stop at each page and point out the different things to him, like the animals, the people, the trees, the buildings. Make him think about what he is looking at. Then I'll ask him to point to the objects in the book I know he can identify, that forces him to seek out and find. I play catch with him, even though its more like throw and bounce away. At Chuck E. Cheese the other night, we had enough tickets to get Jacob these foam blocks that you can mold into shapes. We haven't had a chance to open them up yet, but he never put the box down that night after we bought it! I know he will have fun. Most of what I do with Jake, I have to do sitting down, which makes it more difficult to accomplish the task. Jake needs to move alot, and I can't. I'm glad school is back up, bc he will get the stimulation he needs and he is now back to the schedule he is used to. I dread Summer. He will have Summer school, but last year it was only 2 days a week. I don't know how it will be this year, but he needs more than that. I fear I am going to go completely bonkers this Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment