Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Weight loss

Well, I went out and saw Letters to Juliet last night. It was a very good movie. Pretty clean, with some mild language. No nudity or sex scenes, and as far as I recall no sexual references. It is hard to find movies like that anymore. It was a great movie, with some romance mixed in. This is a movie I would like to own.

Well I decided, quite awhile ago, that I need to start losing weight. Unfortunately, I didn't put into practice what it takes to accomplish this. I cut back on what I was eating, but what I did eat wasn't so great for me. And I am not able to exercise very well due to my back problems.
So, I've decided I'm going to stop whining about my weight and do something about it! I can't exercise like I would like to, but there are exercise I can do like walking, going up and down the stairs more often. Mike and I bought a Wii Fit, and it is suppose to have good workouts on there. I am hoping I can find something I will be able to do.
In addition to working out, I have decided to give my eating habits a makeover. Unfortunately I can't just throw out everything in the house that is bad for me, because Jacob will only eat certain things, and Mike won't eat good things at all. So, I have to practice self-control.
One way of doing this is to supply myself with plenty of good food that I should be eating. Sometimes I wander around the kitchen saying "What should I eat?" and grab the first thing I see that looks good. That is usually candy or some kind of junk food. So, I went to the store last night after my movie and bought a bunch of food I should have, everything from breakfast and lunch, to snacks.
Next, I'm going to make a week long menu of what I can have for breakfast, snack, lunch, and snack again. Dinner will be a small portion of whatever I make for the family. This will also help the whole "what to eat" problem. If I already know ahead of time what I'm having that day, I won't need to grab for junk. I bought that Fiber One cereal, because it does actually have alot of fiber in it, and alot less sugar than most of the other "health food" cereals I looked at. Fiber actually slows down the absorption of sugar in your body, so the more you eat, the less sugar you get. It also helps make you feel full, so you aren't starving by your next meal. I also have Raisan Bran, and eggs. Eggs are so good for you, with all the protein. I could have a boiled egg, or an omelet, or scrambled with some fruit on the side. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, because it gets your digestive tract and metabolism working for the day. It also gives you the energy you need, because our bodies derive energy from the food we eat.
Lunches will consist of things like chicken breast, hamburger, tuna fish, egg salad made with olive oil mayonnaise, turkey sandwiches. All sandwiches will be eaten on whole grain bread, high in fiber. A salad or some kind of vegetable will go along with it. I make my own salad dressing to cut down on the sugar and preservatives, and only use romaine lettuce. The darker and leafier the green veggie, the better and more vitamins it has.
Snacks were a toughy for me. We are suppose to be eating 5 smalls meals a day, or 3 meals and 2 snacks. It keeps our blood sugars level at all times, and our energy consistent. I bought two different kinds of Fiber bars, again high in fiber and low in sugar, but it will still make me feel like I am getting to pig out on chocolate! I also got celery that I can put peanut butter on. I can have popcorn, plain no butter or salt, and fruits and raw veggies. This should keep me from binging on junk food.
I'm not saying its going to be easy, after a matter of only a few days, I'm going to start getting tired of all this "healthy food" and want to good stuff. That is partly why I am making this blog, so I can refer back to it and get my resolve back. Another thing I need to do is take a good long look at myself and decide if that junk food is really worth it. Please pray for me!

2 comments:

  1. Cheese and nuts make great snacks too!

    Oh, and watch out on the raisin bran, I heard it's one of the worst cereals to eat because of all the sugar it contains (I was kinda surprised). I guess the raisins are just COATED in sugar!

    Anything that contains high fructose corn syrup will work against you as well, even if it's in a healthy food. I've been trying to cut that out of all of our diets.

    Good luck! I've been working on switching over to healthier meals and snacks around here myself. I've kinda learned though that completely banning myself from the crap only makes it worse. If I allow myself a treat once in awhile, even if it is crap, It's easier to stay with the healthy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that is why I bought the Fiber Plus chocolate bars, so I could have my sweets, and still feel good about what I've eaten. I also have some ice cream that I eat a few bites of when I get a sweet tooth.
    I didn't know about how bad Raisin Bran is! I knew the raisins were coated, but not so much. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete